Sunday, July 26, 2009

Spending Saturday with the Amish

We had a fun little adventure this weekend as we took a late afternoon trip to Lancaster County.

Sean and I decided to take a "Covered Bridge" tour that we found on the Internet and at first we were pretty leery on whether we made the right decision because the first couple of bridges were small and next to a McDonalds and Olive Garden. "Where are the horse driven carts and farms????

Well we were pleasantly surprised as the tour took us on some back roads to see some pretty interesting and amazing sites.



Honestly I have a high regard and respect for the Amish. I love the idea of being fully self-sufficient. I loved the homes and farms and thought the country was beautiful





Ayden was very curious about my camera and I took a few shots while he was trying to figure it out. I loved this one because of his look of curiosity. So cute.


As we were driving around taking pictures we notice that in almost every horse led buggy was an Amish man with his finger up his nose. Sean decided that they did that so that people would not take their pictures, so Sean decided to try their trick while I was taking his picture and little did he know that I would put it on the Internet... Nice try honey!



Our tour ended up at a beautiful park and hiking trail that had a look out over the Susquehanna River. It was such a great view and a pleasant surprise.









For those that want to visit start in the town of Fertility, followed by the town of Intercourse which naturally ends at the town of Conception. Have I mentioned yet how much I love the names of the towns??? They are great!!!

4 comments:

Patty Sampson said...

Wow! What a great trip! I totally want to go on one too. And I love how their logic flows in the naming of the Amish towns. :)

emily a. said...

Why oh why are they named that? I'll never understand.

Love love those pictures at the park- especially the one with Sean and Ayden looking at the water. Glad you had a good trip!

Sierra Parke said...

I love the close-up picture of Ayden. It is darling. Yes, why are the towns named that?!?!?

mallena said...

What a great trip! Loved the picture of Sean picking his nose. I saw the picture first before I read the caption. Glad it was on purpose. :)